Sunday 16 March 2014

This University Week

Hello All! Hope you're doing well!

This week I planned to do a video blog, but I filmed it on my phone and I have just got the footage ready to upload only to realise I have filmed it upside down! So I will do a written post today and next week upload a video blog the right way round! What I tried to do in my video blog was summarise each day between Monday and Friday so you can get a good idea of what a general week at uni is like, so for this week I will do it in written format :)


My uni week started 9AM on Monday morning for a Cognitive Neuropsychology lecture, which looked at how brain injuries and impairments affect language perception and ability which was really interesting, even for a 9AM start! I had an hours break before my next lecture and so I went into town with my friend before my 11AM lecture on Mental health which looked at treatments for depression. Following this I had another hour break before my tutorial in which I went to the silent library to do some work and to re-read over the papers I was going to have to discuss for the following tutorial. At 1PM I had my Mental Health tutorial in which we discussed two papers on depression, both looking at different theories and we were graded on our discussion although we do not find out our grades until the end of the assessment. We are currently halfway through this assessment with 2 more tutorials like this to go which will make up for 25% of our overall grade for the Mental Health module. Then it was time for a little more work in the library before going home for the day.


My uni day started at 10AM with an Applied Health Psychology lecture looking at stress and its health implications which is something I always find really interesting. Then I had a group meeting with the group I am working on a presentation with for Applied Health. We discussed the work we were to do for the next meeting and it was very productive. I had a tutorial at 3PM which gave me another 3 hours spare so again I went to the silent area to do some studying and to reread the paper I was going to need for my Cognitive Neuropsychology tutorial at 3. In the tutorial we looked at 'Aphasia' which is a disorder that people with brain injuries often have in which they find it difficult to read, write or speak. After this my day was finished and so I went home and got a little more work done.


Wednesday's are my days off at uni this semester -  that means I have no tutorial, no lectures and so it may seem like no real reason to go into uni. But as a third year there is always a reason to go into uni and this week I went into uni on Wednesday to do some more work for my upcoming assessment for a few hours.


My uni day on Thursday started at 10AM as I met up with my group again for the Applied Health presentation to discuss what we had found and try to piece it together a bit. Following this we had an Applied Health tutorial in which we watched the other groups do their presentations and asked questions on their intervention. After this at 12PM I met with two of my friends for lunch for an hour. After this I went to the research cubicles to recruit participants and it went better than expected with the majority of people that I asked to take part were more than happy to! So I am finally at the stage where I have almost finished getting my participants! At around 5PM when they start closing the research cubicle, I went to meet my friends in the it suite for about an hour and a half for a chat and to do some work at the same time. Then at 6.30 I went home for a well deserved break.


At 9AM I had my last research dissertation lecture. The very last one! Although it will be nice not to have to get up at 9AM on Fridays any more, it is a very daunting feeling to realise the dissertation lectures are finishing because the time is running out! Following this I went to, yes you guessed it, the silent area to do some more work on my assignment. At midday I met with my friend to go to a buffet for our friend's birthday. After this at 2PM there was a careers talk on Clinical Psychology which is the area I eventually want to go into and so it was definitely something I needed to attend. A Clinical Psychologist who had graduated from the uni had come in to talk about what kind of work experience we would need, how to go about applying for a doctorate in clinical psychology, what type of grades we would need and everything we would need to know really! It was very helpful and I would strongly recommend going to careers talks that are available to you, even if you are only just starting uni. After this I went back to do some more work in the silent area and at around 5PM I went home.

I hope this has been helpful and has shown you what a week at uni is like! As you can see it is not all lectures and tutorials, a lot of it is preparing for the lectures and tutorials, doing research for assignments and other things. No two days at uni are the same!

See you next week, when I will hopefully have figured out how to do a video blog the right way up!
Robyn

Ps. 47 days until dissertation deadline day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment