Friday 10 January 2014

Applying for University

Hello! :)

Application date deadline for UCAS is almost among us, and so I thought for this blog post I would reflect on what the University application process was like for me.

When I applied for university I was in my last year of sixth form and I was lucky enough to get a lot of help and support from the sixth form that I was studying at. The application process personally for me was very daunting because I was making the most important decisions I had ever had to make, and it made the thought of moving away from home for university real. I think this is something that everyone who moves away from university feels though, especially those who are moving away from home for the first time.

There was no doubt in my mind about moving away from home to study; I wanted the whole 'student experience' and to start to become independent. I applied for 4 universities that were quite far from my home town (including this one) and another that was close to home (although that one did get rejected). After my application had been sent off, I would check daily for any possible updates on my UCAS form to see whether I had gotten any conditional offers. I was very lucky to get 4 conditional offers and each one that I received made me feel that little bit closer to getting to university.

I narrowed down my choices by going to the open days and choosing the universities which I felt suited me best. I also narrowed down my choices by being realistic with what I was going to achieve and thinking about whether I could attain the grades that my conditional offers depended on.

For making your choice of university, I would recommend going to open days. It really helped me to make up my mind of whether the university was right for me and whether I wanted to live in the town for three years. I also got lots of information specific to the Psychology course
that helped me make up my decision that was not in the prospectus.

Good luck to everyone applying to university! Work hard and I'm sure you'll do well! :)

See you next week!
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment