Friday 24 January 2014

Open Days


Hi guys

The UCAS deadline has gone, and now anybody who has applied for university this year is nervously awaiting to hear whether they have got offers or interviews with the universities they wish to go to. Today I am going to write about open days, and personally I think open days are the most useful way to decide whether a university is right for you.

There is only so much that can be shown in a prospectus or on a university website, and being given the opportunity to look around a university and hear from students what the university is like for them is something of great value when trying to decide if it is right for you.

I visited open days for the universities I was most interested in going to, and I felt that I got a better understanding of the universities and which I wanted to choose when I had to narrow down my choices later on. Visiting the open days allowed me the chance to look at potential accommodation that the universities had to offer which was very important to me as it was going to be my first time living away from my family home and so I wanted to see for myself exactly where I might be living. 

Another thing that the open days allowed was for students to talk honestly about their experience at the university and we were able to ask questions which was very helpful and had an advantage over the prospectus. As someone potentially going to the universities, it was very exciting to be shown around the psychology departments and to learn about how I would be studying and the modules, it all made it seem very real. Visiting the open days of the universities I had applied to also gave me the chance to look around at the towns and cities I would potentially be living in for the next three years which I think is an important factor to take into consideration.

Although undoubtedly the open days are very useful for potential students, if you live too far away for a day visit to an open day there will be lots of information in the prospectus and online on the universities websites to help you make up your decisions when you have to start narrowing down your university choices. So although I would recommend going to open days if you are able to, if you are not there are still other ways to get relevant information which may help you.  

So good luck to anybody who has sent off their UCAS and is waiting for offers! And good luck to anyone who is still working hard towards their January exams and January deadlines.

For anybody who is interested in going to an open day, here is the information below for upcoming open days at the University Of Bedfordshire. 


Thanks for reading, see you next week!
Robyn

No comments:

Post a Comment